Register for Background Check
Miss Code Ann. Section § 73-15-17 (Q); 73-15-19; and 73-15-21, authorizes the Mississippi Board of Nursing (MSBN) to undergo a fingerprint-based criminal background history check of the Mississippi central criminal data base and the Federal Bureau of Investigations criminal history for licensure. Please follow the instructions below to complete the CBC process.
- You must submit a completed Licensure by Examination application to the board office before registering for a Criminal Background Check (CBC). Allow at least 7 to 10 business days for your examination information to be uploaded to the Student Status Inquiry at www.msbn.state.ms.us.
- Complete the CBC online at least 48 hours prior to a scheduled (in-state only) onsite campus visit by the MSBN staff.
- Complete the CBC online registration using the exact name as used on the Licensure by Examination application. If an applicant has undergone a name change different from the name on their photo identification, you must present the necessary legal documents (i.e., marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other legal name change document) as proof at the time of fingerprinting.
- Pay the $75.00 fee at the time of completion of the CBC form by using a credit or debit card bearing the Visa or MasterCard logo. Fees are non-refundable.
- Applicants who reside in Mississippi and have completed an in-state nursing program should contact their school of nursing for the date and time scheduled for onsite fingerprinting to be performed by the MSBN staff.
- Applicants who reside in Mississippi but have attended an out-of-state nursing program should contact the board to make arrangements based on MSBN staff availability.
- OUT OF STATE APPLICANTS who reside in a state other than Mississippi must contact the board for fingerprinting instructions.
- An applicant must provide two (2) sources of identification, one of which being a government issued current, valid and unexpired picture identification document. A driver"s license is preferred for the picture identification but in the absence of a driver"s license, a state-issued identification card may be acceptable. Other forms of identification documents may include: State Government Issued Certificate of Birth, U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military Identification Card (000 10-2), U.S. Passport, Federal Government Personal Identity Verification Card (PIV), U.S. Tribal or Bureau of Indian Affairs Identification Card, Social Security Card, Court Order for a Name Change/Divorce, Marriage Certificate (Government Certificate Issued), U.S. Government Issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Foreign Passport with Appropriate Immigration Documents, Certificate of Citizenship (N560), Certificate of Naturalization (N550), INS 1-688 Temporary Resident Identification Card.
- To expedite the licensing process, applicants who have been convicted of, pled guilty or pled no contest to any charge(s), or have charges pending against them for a felony or misdemeanor, other than a minor traffic violation in any state or jurisdiction must provide the board with the following pertinent records including but not limited to:
This information may be mailed or delivered to the board at the time the applicant completes the Licensure by Examination application.
- Certified copies of any and all court records
- Evidence of fines paid
- Documents that demonstrate release of probation
- A written detailed explanation as to the circumstances leading to each criminal offense
- Applicants with potentially disqualifying events may be required to submit additional information as requested by the board. MSBN staff will contact the applicant either by phone or letter to request as needed.
- Applicants should NOT CALL THE BOARD REQUESTING THE RESULTS OF THEIR CBC. THIS INFORMATION WILL NOT BE GIVEN OUT OVER THE PHONE, IN PERSON, BY MAIL, and copies of CBC results will not be available through the board office.
- Allow additional time for the CBC process to be completed because of additional follow-up by board staff. The amount of additional time required is dependent on the applicant"s ability to provide necessary documents and the time required for the board to review the information. A set timeframe cannot be given.
- A second set of prints may be requested by MSBN staff if inconsistencies associated with the original fingerprint submission cause the submission to be rejected. (Do not call MSBN to check acceptance of fingerprints. If inconsistencies are noted, board staff will contact the applicant.)
- If an applicant disagrees with the CBC results, they must contact the Board in writing within 10 business days of notification.
ONLY THE FINGERPRINTS AND CBC PERFORMED BY
THE MISSISSIPPI BOARD OF NURSING WILL BE ACCEPTED